Die Casting Technology of Automobile Aluminum Alloy Lower Cylinder Block
Die Casting Technology of Automobile Aluminum Alloy Lower Cylinder Block
|In recent years, energy conservation and emission reduction have become the trend of the times, and automobile lightweight is also the general trend. Under these two major backgrounds, aluminum alloy materials are used more and more widely in automobiles, and more and more auto parts are formed by die-casting. As the core components of cars, most of the engine cylinder blocks are made of aluminum alloy and cast iron. Among them, die-cast aluminum alloy cylinder blocks have gained more and more recognition. Japanese, Korean, European and American automobile companies mostly use die-cast aluminum alloy cylinder blocks.|
Lower cylinder refers to the lower part of the crankshaft of the engine after being divided into two. Since the lower cylinder body is a thick-walled part, and the wall thickness varies greatly, it is very difficult to die-cast. We learned from relevant domestic and foreign experience, designed and developed a set of lower cylinder die casting technology for a 1.5T engine, and the test was very successful.
1 Difficulties in die casting of aluminum alloy lower cylinder block
The aluminum alloy lower cylinder casting mass is 8.4kg, the outline size is 382mm×258mm×67mm, the die casting mass is 11.1kg, the material is A380, and the average wall thickness is 7.2mm. Since the lower cylinder block is connected to the crankshaft, a cast iron insert needs to be placed at the bottom.
The die casting process of the lower cylinder body china die casting is complicated, and the main difficulties are as follows:
- the casting needs to be placed in 5 pieces of cast iron inserts, and the cast iron inserts must be perfectly embedded on the aluminum alloy castings without separation.
- the thickness of the lower cylinder body castings is as thin as 2mm at the thinnest part and 24mm at the thickest part, with serious uneven distribution.
- due to the large difference in thickness between the two side walls of the insert, it brings great difficulty to the flow filling of aluminum alloy liquid, and also tests its feeding ability.
- aluminum alloy castings are prone to defects such as porosity, shrinkage, cracks, and shrinkage, and quality control is difficult.
2 Key Points of Die Casting Technology of Aluminum Alloy
Lower Cylinder Block According to test analysis, we believe that the key points of die casting production technology of lower cylinder block are as follows:
- First, scientifically design the gating system of the cylinder block die-casting parts. The insert position in the middle of the lower cylinder block is thin-walled, and the upper and lower parts are thick parts. Therefore, we choose single-side pouring, so that the molten aluminum can be fed from the bottom side. , Flow through the middle insert and reach the top.
- Secondly, we use tooth-shaped chilled exhaust block vacuum die-casting. The combination of tooth-shaped chilled exhaust block and vacuum machine can improve the problem of insufficient fluidity caused by thin side walls and ensure good casting quality.
- Third, in order to improve the wettability of the aluminum alloy liquid and the cast iron inserts, we have carried out the insert preheating, which not only ensures that the cast iron and the aluminum alloy do not separate after forming, but also improves the fluidity of the aluminum liquid.
After experimentation, the internal structure of the lower cylinder body we obtained is dense and the appearance is well formed. In the process of lower cylinder die casting, scientific and reasonable process parameters are the guarantee for obtaining high-quality lower cylinder. We believe that the following process parameters are the key factors affecting casting molding:
- First, die casting temperature. During the die-casting process, the temperature of the molten aluminum should be well controlled, because the temperature is too high or too low to achieve good casting results, too high will easily lead to shrinkage and shrinkage, and too low will easily lead to poor filling. Generally speaking, the reasonable temperature of molten aluminum should be between 650-665℃, and the temperature after spraying of the mold should be between 150-200℃.
- Second, the temperature of the insert. When the insert reaches 120-140℃, the side of the molten aluminum overflow tank will improve the internal quality.
- Third, die casting fast and slow injection speed and pressure. The speed of fast injection and slow injection should be controlled at about 4m/s and 0.22m/s respectively, and the pressure should be controlled at about 70MPa.
- Fourth, the quality of molten aluminum. As the basic material of castings, the quality of molten aluminum determines the quality of castings. Therefore, to ensure the quality of molten aluminum, each package of molten aluminum must be refined and degassed to avoid pollution.
3 aluminum alloy lower cylinder die casting defects and countermeasures
After the casting was formed, we carried out X-ray inspection on the casting and found that the casting had some internal defects, such as shrinkage cavity, porosity, shrinkage porosity, etc. In order to improve defects and improve quality, we propose corresponding countermeasures, the main directions of which are as follows:
- First, improve the overflow tank structure. The overflow groove has the functions of removing gas in the cavity, storing mixed gas, and transferring shrinkage/shrinkage parts. After repeated trials and studies, we found that we can use methods such as extending and adding overflow grooves to improve shrinkage, pores and other defects. Since there are more shrinkage and porosity in the middle of the casting, the filling pressure will be affected if the overflow port is set on a large plane, so vertical overflow ports are usually selected.
- Second, optimize the mold cooling system. Shrinkage holes in castings generally appear at locations where the local temperature is too high or the wall thickness is too large. Through research, we found that the higher temperature at the thicker side walls can easily cause shrinkage. Since the minimum diameter of the spot cooling pipe initially selected is 12mm, which cannot effectively cool the above-mentioned positions, we have improved the structure of the cooling water pipe, using high-pressure cooling equipment and a stainless steel spot cooling pipe with an inner diameter of 4mm. We cooled the mold cores on both sides of the casting to about 180°C, which greatly reduced the shrinkage and greatly improved the quality of the casting.
- Third, improve the separation of inserts. In view of the separation between inserts and aluminum alloy castings, we have adopted the following measures: first, use thinner to clean the inserts to improve wettability; second, perform positioning hole inspection and appearance inspection on the inserts, using steel wire Part of the rust-spotted inserts was removed; third, the preheating test was carried out on the inserts. The study found that when the temperature reaches 120℃ or higher, the problem of insert separation can be effectively solved.
PTJ Machining Capabilities
Automatic Bar Machining – Multi-spindle cam automatic screw machines
CNC Turning – CNC delivers peak cost efficiency in shorter volumes, as well as high capacity production of mechanically simple components
Custom Machining - with up to 12 axes of control
Multi Spindle Machining- ISO 9001:2015 certified
Screw Machine Products – The number of customized production parts per hour can reach 10000pcs
Swiss Machining – with up to 9 axes of CNC control, to produce precision components with complex geometries in one operation
High Volume Machining – 100 Advanced Production Turning Bar Automatics On-line and Ready
CNC Milling - Machining Fully compliant with the exacting requirements of our customers
5 axis (11 axis) Machining – Tolerance | 0.1mm alignment
What Can we help you do next?
∇ Get more information about cnc machining Shop
By PTJ Manufacturing Shop|Categories: Blog|Tags: cnc milling services, cnc turning services, milling parts, turning parts, machining parts, special parts,faqs,technical news,company news,material news |Comments Off